Kanchipuram is one of the famous tourist spot in Tamilnadu and also for its world famous handwoven Silk Sarees. Its been very special for me to write about Kanchipuram as it’s my home town. Kanchipuram is also called as ” City of 1000 Temples” , but almost more than 80 % of the temples are devastated due to Natural disasters .
Uniqueness about the Place –
We have 7 Holy cities in India .
- Kashi (Varanasi)
Kanchipuram is the ONLY city in South India among those 7 holy places and the rest are from North India.
There is a belief among the people about these places
- If you born in Kanchipuram , you will attain Moksha 🙂 .
- If you go to Chidambaram , you will attain Moksha
- If you think about Thiruvannamalai, you will attain Moksha
Meaning of Moksha – release from the cycle of rebirth
Speciality about the Place –
In South India, There are temples dedicated to five prime elements of nature- land, water, air, sky, and fire. Among them Kanchipuram Represents Land.
- Ekambareswarar Temple, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu (Land)
- Thiruvanaikaval Temple, Trichy, Tamil Nadu (Water)
- Arunachaleshwarar Temple, Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu (Fire)
- Kalahasti Temple, Srikalahasti, Andhra Pradesh (Air)
- Natarajar Temple, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu (Sky)
How to reach –
The nearest Airport is Chennai . Kanchipuram is very nearer to Chennai and it can be reachable from Chennai through Various Routes.
- From Koyambedu through Poonamalle – The National Highway route
- From Tambaram through Walajapet – State highway route
- There are limited bus services from Adyar, T-Nagar and Porur ( Near Ramachandra Hospital) and Services from Poonamalle as well .
- Train services are also available from Chennai to Kanchipuram. but it is minimal service from Chennai Beach Station to Kanchipuram .
People based on their convenience, they can choose to avail these facilities to reach Kanchipuram.
I would recommend the easiest way to reach is through Bus services. Very frequent bus services from Koyambedu Bus Station and Tambaram Bus station .
Famous Temples –
- Kanchi Varadharaja Perumal Temple
- Kanchi Ekambareshwarar Temple
- Kanchi Kamatchi Temple
- Vaikunda Perumal Temple
- Kailashanathar Temple
I will cover about these temples in my future posts, but it will not be continuous for now due to time constraints.
Please feel free to share your Views / like & leave your comments on this blog in the comments section
©mytravelcsp . All rights reserved.